Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
adverb & adjectiveMusic
In a smooth flowing manner, without breaks between notes.as adverb ‘the notes were played legato by the bassoons’Compare with staccatoas adjective ‘his tremolo and legato work’
- ‘An emphasis on slower tempos gives Black the opportunity to show off her very accomplished legato playing.’
- ‘Play it forte and legato while playing the rest of the chord piano and staccato.’
- ‘His legato approach seems to add tension to the hand and produce a heavier sound.’
- ‘It was an impressive performance with many haunting moments, wonderful legato sections and beautifully sustained final notes.’
- ‘The pianist wants us to hear everything, and he relies on his legato playing to prevent the music from sounding dry, even skeletal.’
- ‘The natural trumpets were brightly penetrating while the flutes and other woodwind resonated above the soft legato strings.’
A piece or passage marked to be performed legato.
- ‘The pedal plays a large role in creating a musical perception of legato, and for small-handed pianists, it is indispensable.’
- ‘Different pitches could also be obtained from the one string and the transition between these pitches was characterised by a delicate legato.’
- ‘He knew enough about my instrument to be able to say to me: ‘Why don't you play the legato like that?’’
- ‘Years later when Beth played Mozart Sonatas and Chopin Nocturnes, we experimented with putting down the keys in various ways to get the velvety legatos or sparkling staccatos called for in the music.’
- ‘The lyrical second theme brings forth a singing legato from the violin that contrasts wonderfully with its sharp and clipped phrasing in the first section.’
Italian, literally ‘bound’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.