One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Coins or banknotes that must be accepted if offered in payment of a debt.
cash, hard cash, ready moneyView synonyms
- ‘In 1811, paper banknotes became legal tender in Britain.’
- ‘Euro notes and coins become legal tender in 12 countries and ‘dual circulation’ begins.’
- ‘Making the notes legal tender for all debts would solve that problem.’
- ‘From January 1, only the new bills and coins are legal tender.’
- ‘Its bank notes, which functioned much like today's paper currency, acted as legal tender in payment of U.S. debts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.