One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Payment from public funds allowed, in cases of need, to help pay for legal advice or proceedings.
- ‘They argued that legal aid was being granted in cases that the claimants had no chance of winning.’
- ‘They made an immediate application for legal aid to apply for an order to suspend any warrant.’
- ‘But legal aid is statutory and so are the restrictions on recovery of costs from the fund.’
- ‘If an applicant is not in custody then legal aid will not ordinarily be granted without a statement of means.’
- ‘He indicated to the accused that legal aid was available and that they would call back.’
- ‘It is possible that our views may require some amendment to be made to the statutory provisions for legal aid.’
- ‘One is that there has been an increase in legal aid, and that means an increase in the number of litigants.’
- ‘Representation or assistance will not usually be given if the civil servant is given legal aid.’
- ‘The claimant, who is now publicly funded, could have obtained legal aid at an earlier stage.’
- ‘Dave Gorman, a third party named in the action by Beva, had his part in the case funded through legal aid.’
- ‘Mr Paba did not have the benefit of legal aid until shortly before his trial.’
- ‘One common one is that the applicant has applied for legal aid and hasn't qualified.’
- ‘We make it clear that we attribute no blame whatever to him for the delay in the decision as to legal aid in his case.’
- ‘Until legal aid is forthcoming, the Court could order the release of the prisoner on bail.’
- ‘It held that the merits of the case did not justify the grant of legal aid.’
- ‘Mr Wheaton, who is being funded by legal aid to fight the civil claim, denies any wrongdoing.’
- ‘Is there any constraint on the amount of legal aid that is allowed to be accessed?’
- ‘The hope was expressed that such a body would be open to all with legal aid available when necessary.’
- ‘If representation on legal aid is granted, an adjournment will necessarily follow.’
- ‘She has been granted legal aid to seek a judicial review of the policy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.