One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Payment from public funds allowed, in cases of need, to help pay for legal advice or proceedings.
- ‘It held that the merits of the case did not justify the grant of legal aid.’
- ‘They made an immediate application for legal aid to apply for an order to suspend any warrant.’
- ‘It is possible that our views may require some amendment to be made to the statutory provisions for legal aid.’
- ‘They argued that legal aid was being granted in cases that the claimants had no chance of winning.’
- ‘Mr Paba did not have the benefit of legal aid until shortly before his trial.’
- ‘If an applicant is not in custody then legal aid will not ordinarily be granted without a statement of means.’
- ‘One common one is that the applicant has applied for legal aid and hasn't qualified.’
- ‘We make it clear that we attribute no blame whatever to him for the delay in the decision as to legal aid in his case.’
- ‘Until legal aid is forthcoming, the Court could order the release of the prisoner on bail.’
- ‘She has been granted legal aid to seek a judicial review of the policy.’
- ‘Mr Wheaton, who is being funded by legal aid to fight the civil claim, denies any wrongdoing.’
- ‘If representation on legal aid is granted, an adjournment will necessarily follow.’
- ‘But legal aid is statutory and so are the restrictions on recovery of costs from the fund.’
- ‘The claimant, who is now publicly funded, could have obtained legal aid at an earlier stage.’
- ‘He indicated to the accused that legal aid was available and that they would call back.’
- ‘Representation or assistance will not usually be given if the civil servant is given legal aid.’
- ‘Is there any constraint on the amount of legal aid that is allowed to be accessed?’
- ‘Dave Gorman, a third party named in the action by Beva, had his part in the case funded through legal aid.’
- ‘The hope was expressed that such a body would be open to all with legal aid available when necessary.’
- ‘One is that there has been an increase in legal aid, and that means an increase in the number of litigants.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.