One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Payment from public funds allowed, in cases of need, to help pay for legal advice or proceedings.
- ‘Mr Wheaton, who is being funded by legal aid to fight the civil claim, denies any wrongdoing.’
- ‘It held that the merits of the case did not justify the grant of legal aid.’
- ‘If representation on legal aid is granted, an adjournment will necessarily follow.’
- ‘They made an immediate application for legal aid to apply for an order to suspend any warrant.’
- ‘He indicated to the accused that legal aid was available and that they would call back.’
- ‘They argued that legal aid was being granted in cases that the claimants had no chance of winning.’
- ‘The hope was expressed that such a body would be open to all with legal aid available when necessary.’
- ‘Is there any constraint on the amount of legal aid that is allowed to be accessed?’
- ‘But legal aid is statutory and so are the restrictions on recovery of costs from the fund.’
- ‘Dave Gorman, a third party named in the action by Beva, had his part in the case funded through legal aid.’
- ‘If an applicant is not in custody then legal aid will not ordinarily be granted without a statement of means.’
- ‘Until legal aid is forthcoming, the Court could order the release of the prisoner on bail.’
- ‘She has been granted legal aid to seek a judicial review of the policy.’
- ‘One is that there has been an increase in legal aid, and that means an increase in the number of litigants.’
- ‘Representation or assistance will not usually be given if the civil servant is given legal aid.’
- ‘The claimant, who is now publicly funded, could have obtained legal aid at an earlier stage.’
- ‘It is possible that our views may require some amendment to be made to the statutory provisions for legal aid.’
- ‘One common one is that the applicant has applied for legal aid and hasn't qualified.’
- ‘Mr Paba did not have the benefit of legal aid until shortly before his trial.’
- ‘We make it clear that we attribute no blame whatever to him for the delay in the decision as to legal aid in his case.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.