Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A type of spin bowling which causes the ball to deviate from the leg side towards the off side after pitching; leg breaks.‘he coped comfortably with the leg spin of Mushtaq Ahmed’
- ‘He followed up with 13 overs of leg spin which earned him five wickets for 55 runs.’
- ‘Priory opened with a mix of pace and leg spin which was to prove a formidable formula.’
- ‘He bowled leg spin and captained with authority and intelligence.’
- ‘Warne's mastery over the art of leg spin is unrivalled and even the worst of his detractors is forced to stand up and applaud his wizardry.’
- ‘There is a strong view in the Australian camp that England batsmen are not handling leg spin well.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.