Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A support for a seated person's leg.
- ‘The upholstered seats have reclining backs with special back support, leg rests and a folding table.’
- ‘The business-class leg rest can put undue pressure on the calves.’
- ‘Houses are bigger, and extending leg rests popular.’
- ‘This chair makes it easier for the carer to seat their patients without the hindrance of the armrests and leg rests when removed.’
- ‘This folding chair has fixed armrests, removable leg rests, is low maintenance and extremely cost effective.’
- ‘Push a few buttons and, presto, your seat reclines, and your leg rest rises until you are lying down.’
- ‘Chris sat on the leg rest in front of me and watched as I gave Caitlyn the nipple of the bottle.’
- ‘A wheelchair leg rest is a wheelchair part that is used to support the leg.’
- ‘One had a modern table with comfortable leg rests.’
- ‘Quite a number of families are today prepared to shell out a small fortune to restore the long-discarded wooden chest or the ponderous easy chair with extendable leg rests which takes a couple of strong men to lift.’
- ‘Other features include quick release upper body straps, arm and leg rests, leg slings and multiple points of lift.’
- ‘That table really shouldn't be used as a leg rest.’
- ‘The position of the foot plate on either standard footrests or elevating leg rests is adjustable to fit the user's leg length.’
- ‘Swing away footrests and leg rests make it easier for you to transfer because they can be moved out of the way.’
- ‘Relax, and rest your tired legs and feet with this extremely comfortable leg rest that is contoured to follow the shape of your legs and provide maximum support.’
- ‘I was a little concerned about Horizon cars on such a long run but noted that the ones on this train had been converted to long distance service with better seats and leg rests.’
- ‘Create a soothing ambiance with our optional CD Stereo System, or add back and leg rests for extra comfort.’
- ‘For optimum comfort and safety, leg rests should provide a proper foundation for the legs and feet.’
- ‘If it is important that the armrests and leg rests be accessible after the elder is seated, pivoting or rotating features may be best.’
- ‘Such a complicated anchoring means would be unsuitable for the leg rest of the present invention.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.