Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[attributive] Furthest to the left.‘the leftmost edge of the screen’
- ‘The leftmost shield is red, the middle shield is white, and the rightmost shield is colored blue, although the white color is sometimes represented by light gray.’
- ‘The 12 leftmost bars show proportion of choices for each individual.’
- ‘Benjamin Mascardo, a young man in his early thirties, stood up from the leftmost area of the panelist's table.’
- ‘This invisible line is then divided into 38.2%, 50% and 61.8%, and lines are drawn from the leftmost point through each of these points.’
- ‘The leftmost 10 gridpoints were considered the apical region, whereas the next five gridpoints were considered the mitochondrial buffer region.’
- ‘You can go backwards in the article by clicking the leftmost column.’
- ‘Finally, after a few seconds of awkward silence, the leftmost one finally spoke.’
- ‘For example, the guest of honor reclined on the leftmost place on the rear couch, meaning that he or she bad the best view out of the room.’
- ‘The one on the right carried a large mace, whereas the leftmost one held a double-handed axe.’
- ‘So I took a roll of masking tape, re-centered the hole, and to the left I matched up the leftmost part of the tape with the leftmost part of the oval using a permanent marker to make the outline.’
- ‘We found the leftmost track the easiest.’
- ‘The general pattern is similar to that in Figure 4, except that the leftmost fragment in the FRI region now appears to be associated with flowering time.’
- ‘The grid will look something like the leftmost frame of the lower illustration on page 36.’
- ‘The estimated size of each conserved segment is given on the leftmost column.’
- ‘Grab the rightmost dish with your right hand and the leftmost dish with your left hand while working your feet up.’
- ‘For each variable, the percentage of cases for which a variable was available is provided in the leftmost column.’
- ‘We managed to fit in a whistlestop tour of Greenwich before taking our seats in the leftmost extremities of the Palladium's Upper Circle with minutes to spare.’
- ‘He quickened his pace and hugged the leftmost side.’
- ‘The line in the middle of the box in the leftmost column shows the median value of Miers' within-sentence pauses: 465 milliseconds.’
- ‘He turned slightly and headed toward the leftmost mountain of the range ahead.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.