One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The bank of a river on the left as one faces downstream.
- ‘Soon, a large force of British soldiers would advance up the left bank of the Waitara River against Maori-held positions.’
- ‘Also on the left bank, but about half a mile downstream is a landing platform.’
- ‘The town's garrison has been fighting for the past two weeks and continues to hold its positions on the left bank of the Euphrates.’
- ‘Just above this rapid, a green canoe is pulled onto the left bank, with a hodgepodge of gear piled alongside it on the rocky beach.’
- ‘Other infrastructure development includes a new bridge over the Daugava, a road bypassing the city centre and several new cargo terminals on the left bank of the river.’
- ‘The new plan proposed an embankment like his original one, this time on the left bank of the Thames from Hungerford to London Bridge.’
- ‘For red wines, this meant that they planted a lot of Cabernet Sauvignon, the dominant grape of the Medoc region on the left bank of the Gironde river, just downstream from Bordeaux.’
- ‘On the left bank of the river, the works lie north of the present city of Samarra, which is a walled city.’
- ‘It's located on the left bank of the river Beas, at the eastern tip of the Kulu-Manali axis.’
- ‘The Marais is home to the city's trendiest nightspots, while St-Germain des Prés, the Latin Quarter and the Luxembourg Gardens on the left bank are the epitome of Parisian café society.’
- ‘My first contact with a HIV positive patient was in a small apartment on the left bank in Paris.’
- ‘In the late 19th century, Paris was a magnet for artists; there, Frieseke lived on the left bank.’
- ‘In 1888 the main line was extended down the left bank of the Ohio and across that stream to Cincinnati.’
- ‘The best way to get your bearings is to walk to the top of Fourviere hill, on the left bank of the Saone.’
- ‘This cave is set in a limestone massif on the left bank of the river Verdouble.’
- ‘The travellers ate cold food from their stores, and continued on their way, following the left bank of the river upstream.’
- ‘Water will be channelled via an old intake on the left bank about 150 metres upstream of Miners Bridge.’
- ‘The mine lay about 75 yards from the left bank of the river, and a little below high-water mark, with the end bearing the five horns inclined towards the east.’
- ‘The town was founded by So's ancestors in 1720 on the left bank of the Senegal River.’
- ‘The French would defend the other side of the Meuse, exploiting the natural obstacles offered by the river and the high ground of the left bank.’
A district of the city of Paris, situated on the left bank of the River Seine, to the south of the river. It is an area noted for its intellectual and artistic life.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.