One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A defender in soccer or field hockey who plays primarily in a position on the left of the field.‘a close-range shot from the England left back’
- ‘The Essex club are hunting for a left back and left-sided midfielder after missing out on Paul Heckingbottom.’
- ‘Well how about forgetting left backs and right backs for a moment and focussing on Spurs' abundance of centre backs.’
- ‘The four central midfielders tactic doesn't do it for me, and I'd swap Wayne Bridge for a decent left back any day.’
- ‘Cole really is a fine left back, and I'm sure many Premiership teams would love him in their squad.’
- ‘But to become a football force once again we will need a true left back that can defend as well as offering an attacking option.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.