One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The art of healing.
- ‘And yes, before anyone else writes me smug emails, I know that leeches are very useful in modern medicine, but what I actually said was ` leechcraft’.’
- ‘I cured many patients and at the same time my leechcraft improved a lot.’
- ‘Her leechcraft and repute have attracted many foreigners.’
- ‘She was worshipped by poets, and had two sisters of the same name connected with leechcraft and smithwork.’
- ‘It is unlikely that until the monasteries came any organised leechcraft even existed.’
Old English lǣcecræft (see leech, craft).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.