Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plank frame fixed to the side of a flat-bottomed boat and let down into the water to reduce drifting to the leeward side.
- ‘Viewed from the front with her leeboard stored, the sharpie appears to have a jet intake on the port side.’
- ‘Normally we would start with the sail, then on to the leeboard and finally on to the structure.’
- ‘He noticed that the leeboards were cumbersome, noisy and they tended to pick up debris.’
- ‘These two pieces have to align with the centerline of the hull and be in the same plane or the leeboard will jam.’
- ‘I raised the leeboards, lifted the engine and rudder, and let the current sweep Whisper into the quiet lagoon.’
- ‘The Chinese widely used leeboards and so I thought of replacing the bilgeboards by leeboards also.’
- ‘This spacer fills the gap between side and leeboard when board is touching the gunwale and chine log.’
- ‘But since this is a real dinghy when assembled, there is no reason any dinghy style leeboard would not work.’
- ‘The punt drew but three inches of water when her leeboard was up, and skimmed over the water at a wonderful rate.’
- ‘The mast, main sail, akas, amas, and leeboards all store in a bag that can be tied to the aft deck of the kayak.’
- ‘An article on making a leeboard from laminated plywood is available.’
- ‘The leeboards made for good windward shelter in the cockpit, and the guards made a great boarding step.’
- ‘I figured she'd have leeboards and a very low single sail Chinese rig of no more than 63 square feet.’
- ‘For a leeboard that is clear enough, the higher it gets, the less the upward force of the water is co-operating.’
- ‘In practice the leeboard is strong enough to survive being left on one side when sailing on either tack.’
- ‘I don't notice much difference with the sprit and the leeboard on the ‘wrong’ side of the boat.’
- ‘More modern rigs generally use a leeboard on only one side of the boat, while older rigs have one on each side.’
- ‘This is an L-shaped bolt with wing nut that is used to clamp the leeboard bracket to the gunwales.’
- ‘After the obstacle has been passed, the leeboards and the rudder resume their normal operating position.’
- ‘The twin leeboards are positioned in the side sponsons which keeps the central section of the hull clear for personnel.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.