One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plank frame fixed to the side of a flat-bottomed boat and let down into the water to reduce drifting to the leeward side.
- ‘An article on making a leeboard from laminated plywood is available.’
- ‘In practice the leeboard is strong enough to survive being left on one side when sailing on either tack.’
- ‘More modern rigs generally use a leeboard on only one side of the boat, while older rigs have one on each side.’
- ‘I figured she'd have leeboards and a very low single sail Chinese rig of no more than 63 square feet.’
- ‘I don't notice much difference with the sprit and the leeboard on the ‘wrong’ side of the boat.’
- ‘After the obstacle has been passed, the leeboards and the rudder resume their normal operating position.’
- ‘The leeboards made for good windward shelter in the cockpit, and the guards made a great boarding step.’
- ‘I raised the leeboards, lifted the engine and rudder, and let the current sweep Whisper into the quiet lagoon.’
- ‘For a leeboard that is clear enough, the higher it gets, the less the upward force of the water is co-operating.’
- ‘But since this is a real dinghy when assembled, there is no reason any dinghy style leeboard would not work.’
- ‘This spacer fills the gap between side and leeboard when board is touching the gunwale and chine log.’
- ‘The twin leeboards are positioned in the side sponsons which keeps the central section of the hull clear for personnel.’
- ‘These two pieces have to align with the centerline of the hull and be in the same plane or the leeboard will jam.’
- ‘He noticed that the leeboards were cumbersome, noisy and they tended to pick up debris.’
- ‘Normally we would start with the sail, then on to the leeboard and finally on to the structure.’
- ‘The punt drew but three inches of water when her leeboard was up, and skimmed over the water at a wonderful rate.’
- ‘The Chinese widely used leeboards and so I thought of replacing the bilgeboards by leeboards also.’
- ‘The mast, main sail, akas, amas, and leeboards all store in a bag that can be tied to the aft deck of the kayak.’
- ‘Viewed from the front with her leeboard stored, the sharpie appears to have a jet intake on the port side.’
- ‘This is an L-shaped bolt with wing nut that is used to clamp the leeboard bracket to the gunwales.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.