One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The tendency of a ship to turn its bow to the leeward side.
- ‘If you flatten the main too much and end up just sailing on the jib the boat will develop lee helm.’
- ‘With the opposite, lee helm, the yacht would turn to leeward and risk a knockdown or a dangerous accidental jibe.’
- ‘This condition is known as lee helm and can be dangerous.’
- ‘Hike out to produce lee helm or place the crew on the leeward side to produce weather helm.’
- ‘A yacht with lee helm is very uncomfortable to sail, and under certain conditions can be positively dangerous.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.