One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A list or book of portions of the Bible appointed to be read at divine service.‘the Deacon was given the task of preparing a new lectionary’
- ‘Indeed, this last pattern forms the basis of many lectionaries used for Morning and Evening Prayer.’
- ‘Dating back to the 4th century, Christians and churches have used lectionaries of Biblical readings.’
- ‘This publication contains information on how to customize the lectionary for local needs.’
- ‘There has been a tendency in recent years to move to more uniformity among the various lectionaries.’
- ‘Very little has been discovered regarding the precise beginnings of the Christian use of lectionaries.’
Late 18th century: from medieval Latin lectionarium, from Latin lect- ‘chosen, read’, from the verb legere.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.