Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a class of proteins, chiefly of plant origin, which bind specifically to certain sugars and so cause agglutination of particular cell types.
- ‘As I understand there is an argument about the possible role of lectins in the diet on metabolism, etc.’
- ‘These results suggest that tomato lectin is an early marker in the differentiation of neural stem cells.’
- ‘One of the most fascinating aspects of this topic is the interrelationship between lectins and viruses.’
- ‘Pokeweed mitogen is one of the few lectins that stimulates B lymphocytes as well as T lymphocytes.’
- ‘The second, and major part, is a quick reference alphabetical directory listing around 170 lectins.’
1950s: from Latin lect- chosen (from the verb legere) + -in.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.