One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tall stand with a sloping top to hold a book or notes, from which someone, typically a preacher or lecturer, can read while standing up.
- ‘The keyboard and mouse tray as well as the lectern surface and any attached microphones are adjustable to fit each speaker with just the touch of a switch.’
- ‘Designed with lightweight durability in mind, the lecterns may be moved from room to room and still look new for years to come.’
- ‘One of the most important aspects of a room intended for AV based presentation or instruction is the lectern or presentation millwork.’
- ‘Use as an A / V cart or as a base for the Tabletop Lectern to create a 45’ high lectern.’
- ‘An ideal solution for schools, churches, conference centers and professional business presentations, these multimedia podiums and lecterns are available in a number of sizes and materials to fit any environment.’
- ‘You'll find a variety of attractive styles in this section, including full-size podiums, table top lecterns and adjustable-height lecterns.’
- ‘They will appear on stage behind a lectern and be able to see and interact with the audience as if they are actually there.’
- ‘Standard on this lectern is a table top cable trap with two power receptacles, and an articulating keyboard platform with an 8’ range of vertical adjustment.’
- ‘It won't automatically dim the lights for you, but you can control that from the lectern, too.’
- ‘Choose from large models for video projection, mobile lecterns, traditional, and tabletop lecterns.’
- ‘The sound reflected from the lectern arrives toward the rear of the mic, where sound is rejected.’
- ‘Move this attractive, affordable lectern from room to room and keep your notes in order and your audiences wowed.’
- ‘All carpeted lecterns are available in Gunmetal Gray as standard.’
- ‘We are proud to supply from stock, subject to availability, a large selection of freestanding floor or tabletop acrylic lecterns, manufactured to the highest standards by our own workforce, using only the best quality materials.’
Middle English: from Old French letrun, from medieval Latin lectrum, from legere ‘to read’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.