One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Discontinue (an activity)‘the dog left off chasing the sheep’‘he resumed the other story at the point where the previous author had left off’
stop, cease, finish, desist from, keep from, break off, lay off, give up, discontinue, refrain from, restrain oneself from, hold back from, swear off, resist the temptation to, stop oneself from, withhold from, eschewView synonyms
- ‘He must start every day where he had to leave off the previous evening.’
- ‘He continued where he left off after the break and nearly gave his side the lead after 52 minutes.’
- ‘Some foolish part of me thought I could walk straight back into the studio and pick right up where I left off, but this is really not the case.’
- ‘And here I drank wine upon necessity, being ill for want of it, and I find reason to fear that by my too sudden leaving off wine, I do contract many evils upon myself.’
- ‘Picking up his book where he had left off he tried to focus on the words but the images they painted in his mind didn't match anything that had come before.’
- ‘Many angrily told him to leave off shouting; but he only cried out all the louder.’
- ‘He jokes with him on the phone, finishes the call and continues at the point that he left off.’
- ‘In the second half the game continued in the same vein, where it left off at the break.’
- ‘I swear it leaves off then, to resume work somewhere in my abdomen, causing the most uncomfortable swelling and, eventually, making it harder and harder to breath.’
- ‘That's where the DVD version scores because when you sit down to pick it up again it goes back to the beginning of the scene where you left off.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.