One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be highly unsatisfactory.‘their education leaves much to be desired’
- ‘Unfortunately, the play is as elementary as its title, leaving much to be desired in plot and characterization.’
- ‘Although the liquid diet leaves a lot to be desired, it hasn't been terribly difficult for me to adhere to.’
- ‘The last release left much to be desired, to be diplomatic, and we do not want those mistakes to be repeated.’
- ‘But their business practices leave much to be desired, and their fly-by-night bakery quickly ends up in the red.’
- ‘The architect they chose left a lot to be desired and the building gradually became vacant.’
- ‘Many had come from standard, hierarchical organizations which left a lot to be desired on an individual level.’
- ‘In its infancy, pin and ball were made of hardwood, leaving much to be desired with regard to uniformity.’
- ‘Granted the puppetry leaves a lot to be desired, but it was made a long time ago so it can be forgiven for that.’
- ‘It started awhile back when I noticed some of your signs leaving a lot to be desired in the grammar department.’
- ‘In 1842, he performed an experiment that left much to be desired in the control of experimental variables.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.