One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A marine.‘two planes undershot their target and eight leathernecks were wounded’
- ‘However, the leathernecks are technically a part of the Navy, which has SEALs as their representatives in the Special Operations Command.’
- ‘Iwo Jima was the bloodiest battle in Marine Corps history, and three leathernecks of the 4th and 5th Divisions used sidearms on the sulphurous island during February and March 1945.’
- ‘Those resourceful leathernecks have come up with a slightly higher tech replacement.’
- ‘However, while there is no denying that he has high regard for leathernecks, he does provide ample examples of Navy and Army actions.’
- ‘The lack of enemy contact - and missions that seem designed to avoid contact with insurgents - frustrates the leathernecks.’
- ‘An unparalleled warrior and an enlisted leatherneck at heart, he remains the most famous and most revered Marine.’
- ‘Practical application filled the last two days, as the leathernecks fired computerized scenarios and practiced on the tracking and firing systems at an outdoor trainer.’
- ‘As a father of a leatherneck, I wish to extend my deepest respects to the families of the leathernecks hurt and killed.’
- ‘Most Marines are familiar with Burke Davis's 1962 account of Puller's life, but fellow leatherneck Jon T. Hoffman has produced what is likely to become the definitive biography of this extraordinary officer.’
Late 19th century: with allusion to the leather lining inside the collar of a marine's uniform.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.