Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A carp of a variety which lacks scales.
- ‘Since the genes that control scale vs no scale in carp are not absolute, it is very possible that a genetic leather carp could have an odd scale or three.’
- ‘Although the average size of the common, mirror, ghost and leather carp in the lakes varies between 5lb and 6lb there are plenty of larger fish with the biggest running to 20 lb.’
- ‘The leather carp on the other hand has smooth scales.’
- ‘Thirty-five of the 36 farms investigated were found to have trout contaminated with the substance while the remaining one had leather carp laced with the toxin.’
- ‘Three varieties used to be bred in Europe: mirror carp, linear carp and leather carp.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.