One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Best out of a group which are all undesirable or of poor quality.‘choosing the least worst option is your only escape’
- ‘Penalty shoot-outs do not decide the better team, they decide the least worst team.’
- ‘Many thought that she might yet prove to be the least worst option to 'lead' the government in the coming term.’
- ‘As he himself noted in a recent interview, he is the "least worst" choice of the two candidates.’
- ‘I must sadly agree that his proposal may be the least worst solution.’
- ‘He would do well to listen to every possible version, including his chancellor's, in seeking the least worst answer to this conundrum.’
- ‘Affirmative action, despite its flaws, is the least worst option.’
- ‘British television has been described as 'the least worst television in the world', a tribute, albeit grudging, to its quality.’
- ‘If services have to be cut to reduce costs, reductions in opening hours are the least worst option.’
- ‘Surely the smart move is to support the least worst party’
- ‘I think all the parties are dismal although I do usually bother to vote for the least worst.’
- ‘It is a question of choosing not the best option but the least worst.’
- ‘People use British trains because the roads are so clogged they are the least worst alternative.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.