Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A condition in which a person suffers from a sense of powerlessness, arising from a traumatic event or persistent failure to succeed. It is thought to be one of the underlying causes of depression.
- ‘The involvement of opioid system on the learned helplessness model of depression was investigated.’
- ‘Replace these phrases with words that encourage independence and prevent learned helplessness in children.’
- ‘This list provides a forum for scholarly discussion of learned helplessness and explanatory style.’
- ‘But it does demonstrate what damage learned helplessness can do in making people live a life of fear.’
- ‘As in life in general, it's hard to break out of a cycle of learned helplessness when it comes to computers.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.