One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The intercalary day in a leap year; 29 February.
- ‘The Roman Republic had a 365 day calendar into which leap days were inserted by a board of priests, whenever it appeared that the calendar was out of synch with the seasons.’
- ‘He remembers his mother throwing big birthday parties for him and the two other leapers every time leap day rolled around.’
- ‘This macro counts the number of leap days up to January 1st of a given year.’
- ‘The following table summarizes the years in which the leap day falls on given weekdays for the years 1900-2100.’
- ‘The addition of an extra day to the calendar once in four years defines a leap year, not a leap day, week or month.’
- ‘If a leap day is added every fourth year, the average length of the calendar year is 365.25 days.’
- ‘So every four years a leap day is added to the calendar to allow it to catch up to the solar year.’
- ‘A leap week calendar cannot use the same rules for the leap week as leap day calendar uses for the leap day.’
- ‘The calendar was reformed so that a leap day would occur in any year that is divisible by 4 but not divisible by 100 except when the year is divisible by 400.’
- ‘The extra leap days that were added by the Julian calendar were allowed to remain, so ten days had to be eliminated from 1582 to balance the books.’
- ‘All we need is seven weekdays to shift until we are back on track again, but with the leap days, it would seem that less than 7 years are needed.’
- ‘That makes today the first leap day for a centurial year since year 1600 and the second such leap day of the Gregorian Calendar.’
- ‘Reform was required because too many leap days are added with respect to the astronomical seasons on the Julian scheme.’
- ‘If leap days were not added, the beginnings of months would soon not coincide with the first sighting of the lunar crescent.’
- ‘Leap Years occur every four years, except for years ending in 00, in which case leap day only occurs if the year is divisible by 400.’
- ‘Step 3: Also, don't count a leap day if it happens after the date that you are calculating.’
- ‘To make matters worse, the system was poorly administered and the leap days that should have been excluded from 1704 and 1708 were not excluded.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.