Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A strand of conducting vessels extending from the stem to the base of a leaf.
- ‘Lyginopteris has axillary branching and a small petiole with a V- or W-shaped leaf trace.’
- ‘Each leaf trace is ultimately derived from an axial bundle or bundles.’
- ‘In the studied stem segments, the leaf traces extended for four internodes before the connection with the other vascular bundles.’
- ‘They are discontinuities in the vascular cylinder that occur where leaf traces (the vascular bundles supplying leaves) depart from the stele.’
- ‘The first 24 hr of each leaf trace were excluded from the period estimation to remove any transient effects of the transfer to continuous light and, where possible, the window was started from 40 to 60 hr elapsed time for consistency.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.