Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A spring made of a number of strips of metal curved slightly upwards and clamped together one above the other.
- ‘The new model features a durable stainless steel tray at the back, live axle and leaf springs rather than independent rear suspension.’
- ‘Handling is improved thanks to a larger front stabilizer bar, stiffer rear leaf spring, revised camber settings and wider alloy wheels.’
- ‘The rear leaf springs are 3 inches longer on this model.’
- ‘Working in parallel in its rear are leaf springs and air springs.’
- ‘First the front leaf spring has been dropped in favour of a new coil spring, shock absorber and radius arm setup that anchors the axle to the frame but also adds a second pivot point.’
- ‘This one has a simple leaf spring installed below the firing pin.’
- ‘Their laths were either of composite construction or made from multiple bamboo slats bound like an automobile leaf spring.’
- ‘The bone-shaking ride had to be softened, but despite leaf springs, and then later, a band of solid rubber around the rim, more had to be done.’
- ‘However, the attachment of a harness, consisting of 30 metal leaf springs, to the back of the mirror could impose forces on the mirror that would bend it back into the required shape.’
- ‘With the exception of the heel-catch release and leaf spring, I consider these changes improvements in the basic design.’
- ‘The anchoring mechanism may include a leaf spring that can be actuated between an unlocked position and a locked position.’
- ‘Inserting the magazine back in the pistol, you squeeze the exposed leaf spring at the front of the grip, which releases the compressed magazine spring and follower.’
- ‘There were two bars on top on the right and left but nothing underneath except for the leaf springs.’
- ‘The biggest change made was eliminating the stock independent rear suspension and switching to a solid 12-bolt rear end that is still suspended by stock-type trailing arms and a transverse leaf spring.’
- ‘The suspension has cast aluminum upper and lower control arms in the front and back as well as composite leaf springs.’
- ‘In addition, traditional leaf springs have been replaced with coil springs.’
- ‘Both front and rear suspensions use a transverse-mounted fiberglass leaf spring.’
- ‘We are staying a couple of extra nights over the weekend as Belinda found a broken leaf spring on the trailer just as we were about to head out on Saturday morning.’
- ‘The rear suspension features a live axle with steel leaf springs.’
- ‘It was also given a more conventional rear suspension with leaf springs in a typical Hotchkiss design.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.