One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A spring made of a number of strips of metal curved slightly upwards and clamped together one above the other.
- ‘The new model features a durable stainless steel tray at the back, live axle and leaf springs rather than independent rear suspension.’
- ‘This one has a simple leaf spring installed below the firing pin.’
- ‘However, the attachment of a harness, consisting of 30 metal leaf springs, to the back of the mirror could impose forces on the mirror that would bend it back into the required shape.’
- ‘Inserting the magazine back in the pistol, you squeeze the exposed leaf spring at the front of the grip, which releases the compressed magazine spring and follower.’
- ‘The rear suspension features a live axle with steel leaf springs.’
- ‘In addition, traditional leaf springs have been replaced with coil springs.’
- ‘The suspension has cast aluminum upper and lower control arms in the front and back as well as composite leaf springs.’
- ‘First the front leaf spring has been dropped in favour of a new coil spring, shock absorber and radius arm setup that anchors the axle to the frame but also adds a second pivot point.’
- ‘The biggest change made was eliminating the stock independent rear suspension and switching to a solid 12-bolt rear end that is still suspended by stock-type trailing arms and a transverse leaf spring.’
- ‘Both front and rear suspensions use a transverse-mounted fiberglass leaf spring.’
- ‘We are staying a couple of extra nights over the weekend as Belinda found a broken leaf spring on the trailer just as we were about to head out on Saturday morning.’
- ‘The anchoring mechanism may include a leaf spring that can be actuated between an unlocked position and a locked position.’
- ‘Their laths were either of composite construction or made from multiple bamboo slats bound like an automobile leaf spring.’
- ‘With the exception of the heel-catch release and leaf spring, I consider these changes improvements in the basic design.’
- ‘There were two bars on top on the right and left but nothing underneath except for the leaf springs.’
- ‘The rear leaf springs are 3 inches longer on this model.’
- ‘The bone-shaking ride had to be softened, but despite leaf springs, and then later, a band of solid rubber around the rim, more had to be done.’
- ‘It was also given a more conventional rear suspension with leaf springs in a typical Hotchkiss design.’
- ‘Handling is improved thanks to a larger front stabilizer bar, stiffer rear leaf spring, revised camber settings and wider alloy wheels.’
- ‘Working in parallel in its rear are leaf springs and air springs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.