One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small beetle that feeds chiefly on leaves and typically has bright metallic colouring. Some kinds are serious crop pests.
Family Chrysomelidae: numerous species
- ‘Later, in 2002, the bridal creeper leaf beetle was released.’
- ‘It's not that the beetle likes water - it's a leaf beetle - but that flooding disturbs the ground which encourages the plant.’
- ‘Cereal leaf beetle larvae may defoliate small grain foliage in the spring.’
- ‘One of the new pests to reach Ohio in recent years is the bean leaf beetle, which has long infested other states, carrying with it bean pod mottle virus.’
- ‘While some basic facts are known about the southern corn leaf beetle's life cycle, there has been little biological research since the early 1900s.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.