Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The shedding of leaves by a plant.‘frosts may trigger leaf-fall’‘reduced leaves and early leaf-fall’
- ‘The train company, which has made controversial changes to its autumn timetable, says it wants to highlight the problems caused by leaf-fall as many passengers don't understand why leaves can make train conditions difficult.’
- ‘Trees like pilkhan and kusum have the fascinating characteristic of heavy leaf-fall during March.’
- ‘We don't expect to eliminate the problems that leaf-fall causes.’
- ‘For each parent shoot type, ten branches were collected in winter, after leaf-fall.’
- ‘The basis for this onset of sensitivity is uncertain: it might be related to leaf-fall or completion of a low-temperature requirement for bud development.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.