One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rank in the Royal Navy, above able seaman and below petty officer.
- ‘The leading seaman in each mess was called ‘the caterer’ and he chose ‘the cook-of-the-day’, a job that went by rotation.’
- ‘They were led by a leading seaman aircraft technician from Albatross who, like many sailors living in the region, had joined the local volunteer fire brigade.’
- ‘He was born in York and after eight years in the Navy, where he rose to be a leading seaman, he worked at the factory until he retired.’
- ‘The Navy's leading seamen cooks, leading seamen naval police coxswains and leading seamen photographers join the list of employment categories eligible for the benefit.’
- ‘I finished my military period with the rank of leading seaman.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.