One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rank in the Royal Navy, above able seaman and below petty officer.
- ‘I finished my military period with the rank of leading seaman.’
- ‘They were led by a leading seaman aircraft technician from Albatross who, like many sailors living in the region, had joined the local volunteer fire brigade.’
- ‘The leading seaman in each mess was called ‘the caterer’ and he chose ‘the cook-of-the-day’, a job that went by rotation.’
- ‘He was born in York and after eight years in the Navy, where he rose to be a leading seaman, he worked at the factory until he retired.’
- ‘The Navy's leading seamen cooks, leading seamen naval police coxswains and leading seamen photographers join the list of employment categories eligible for the benefit.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.