One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Slow; clumsy.‘the most lead-footed guy can try aerobic moves’
- ‘Even for lead-footed teams, the pace will pick up because the 10-second rule (the time allotted for a team to get the ball to halfcourt) has been cut to eight seconds.’
- ‘Their first-round opponent, the Bucks, had enough team speed to run with the Nets, but New Jersey's next two foes, the lead-footed Celtics and Pistons, were run out of the gym in sweeps.’
- ‘H looked lead-footed trying to manoeuvre in the pre-start against rivals who have been perfecting these dark arts for years.’
- ‘Political wisdom is more likely to be discovered through experiments in 50 different state laboratories than by lead-footed trial and error in one national laboratory…’
- ‘His first step is death to lead-footed left tackles.’
- ‘And it does it all so seamlessly that it saves lead-footed klutzes like me from all manner of problems without my even knowing it.’
- ‘He is shedding an unwanted reputation as an iron-gloved, lead-footed fielder who has no range and is prone to errors.’
- ‘Bobby Orr started the phenomenon in an era when a defenseman had primarily been a lead-footed, plodding, muscle-bound player whose job was to stand on the blue line and hit people.’
2Tending to drive too quickly.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.