One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An eye with poor vision that is mainly caused by underuse, especially the unused eye in a squint.
- ‘Some conditions such as short or long sight, eye muscle co-ordination problems and most lazy eyes can be corrected, and glasses are not always necessary.’
- ‘Amblyopia or lazy eye is characterised by poor vision that is not correctable with glasses in an otherwise normal and healthy eye.’
- ‘When only colour and light is seen in a lazy eye, the loss of vision is termed ‘profound impairment of vision’.’
- ‘I have a lazy eye, and it starts drifting center when I'm tired, or most annoyingly if I'm trying to eat and read at the same time.’
- ‘There are no symptoms for lazy eye other than poor vision.’
- ‘A patch is placed over the ‘good’ eye so that the lazy eye is forced to work.’
- ‘Her experiences growing up with a lazy eye has led to her prize the parts as well as the whole, and as the film begins she thinks she may have found the perfect guy.’
- ‘I had a lazy eye, so I wandered around with an eye patch.’
- ‘Long-sighted children with a squint need to be monitored carefully to avoid a lazy eye developing.’
- ‘The irregular shape of the cornea distorts the image causing it to blur, unlike in a lazy eye where the eye is essentially normal.’
- ‘If lazy eye is not treated, the weaker eye's vision may never improve and it may even become blind.’
- ‘Amblyopia, or lazy eye, is a condition of poor vision in an otherwise healthy eye because the brain has learned to favor the other eye.’
- ‘The flaw is not her lazy eye but her getup - her gothic mascara and thundercloud of hair - and it says how deeply she has been wounded.’
- ‘In patients with far-sightedness, the drug makes the normal eye's vision worse than that of the lazy eye.’
- ‘Now, I don't know exactly what type hers is, but I have a slight lazy eye that I have had my entire life.’
- ‘The mechanic, a small man with a lazy eye, jump started her car.’
- ‘Nor would this be much fun for the teenager, who probably has no more in common with his ‘Dad’ than a lazy eye or a prematurely receding hairline.’
- ‘If he has a lazy eye, it's more likely to be apparent when he's tired.’
- ‘There was a second part to this study, which was to look to see whether anybody had improved vision in their lazy eye, having lost the vision in their fellow eye.’
- ‘There may be other eye problems as well, including poor vision and crossed or lazy eyes (strabismus).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.