One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An eye with poor vision that is mainly caused by underuse, especially the unused eye in a squint.
- ‘The flaw is not her lazy eye but her getup - her gothic mascara and thundercloud of hair - and it says how deeply she has been wounded.’
- ‘Amblyopia or lazy eye is characterised by poor vision that is not correctable with glasses in an otherwise normal and healthy eye.’
- ‘Some conditions such as short or long sight, eye muscle co-ordination problems and most lazy eyes can be corrected, and glasses are not always necessary.’
- ‘A patch is placed over the ‘good’ eye so that the lazy eye is forced to work.’
- ‘Long-sighted children with a squint need to be monitored carefully to avoid a lazy eye developing.’
- ‘Amblyopia, or lazy eye, is a condition of poor vision in an otherwise healthy eye because the brain has learned to favor the other eye.’
- ‘There are no symptoms for lazy eye other than poor vision.’
- ‘When only colour and light is seen in a lazy eye, the loss of vision is termed ‘profound impairment of vision’.’
- ‘There may be other eye problems as well, including poor vision and crossed or lazy eyes (strabismus).’
- ‘I had a lazy eye, so I wandered around with an eye patch.’
- ‘Now, I don't know exactly what type hers is, but I have a slight lazy eye that I have had my entire life.’
- ‘Her experiences growing up with a lazy eye has led to her prize the parts as well as the whole, and as the film begins she thinks she may have found the perfect guy.’
- ‘If lazy eye is not treated, the weaker eye's vision may never improve and it may even become blind.’
- ‘Nor would this be much fun for the teenager, who probably has no more in common with his ‘Dad’ than a lazy eye or a prematurely receding hairline.’
- ‘There was a second part to this study, which was to look to see whether anybody had improved vision in their lazy eye, having lost the vision in their fellow eye.’
- ‘In patients with far-sightedness, the drug makes the normal eye's vision worse than that of the lazy eye.’
- ‘I have a lazy eye, and it starts drifting center when I'm tired, or most annoyingly if I'm trying to eat and read at the same time.’
- ‘The irregular shape of the cornea distorts the image causing it to blur, unlike in a lazy eye where the eye is essentially normal.’
- ‘The mechanic, a small man with a lazy eye, jump started her car.’
- ‘If he has a lazy eye, it's more likely to be apparent when he's tired.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.