One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make a special effort to do something.‘she's laying herself out to be pleasant’
- ‘I had to get work, and I laid myself out to get it.’
- ‘What he desires is to absorb as many lives as he can, and he has laid himself out to achieve it in a cumulative way.’
- ‘If you start talking about power, you're really laying yourself out to be challenged on just how powerful you are, so people never do it unless they're pretty sure of their ground.’
- ‘Look round the circle in which your lot is cast, and lay yourself out to be useful.’
- ‘He really laid himself out to express what was in his mind.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.