One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A garden party.
- ‘Even at the French ambassador's welcoming lawn party last fall, convivial speakers had to compete for attention with a baby gazelle nibbling randomly at the toes of international guests.’
- ‘On May 11, he was supposed to go to a lawn party held every year to honor a young man killed years before.’
- ‘The plan for the day was to arrive at a lawn party being thrown by Jameson.’
- ‘A large number of the guests then adjourned to a lawn party at Risingholme, where they were received and entertained by the father and mother of the bridegroom.’
- ‘But the staff threw a lawn party for Annie and two younger Sligo girls on a golden August afternoon.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.