Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- North American term for bowls
- ‘The players are decked out in neat white outfits and unheeled shoes - unlike tennis, which has become flashy and polycolored, lawn bowling has remained traditional.’
- ‘The Lions Club had also planned to hold a lawn bowling competition prior to the party but unfortunately they had to cancel this because of heavy rain.’
- ‘An English game called lawn bowling originated over 800 years ago and was strictly an outdoor game.’
- ‘For nearly a decade, I've boycotted the world's biggest motor racing event, as even senior ladies' lawn bowling has made for a livelier spectator sport.’
- ‘You also described 5 pin bowling as being akin to lawn bowling, with the ball being palmed.’
- ‘Other popular sports include tennis, lawn bowling, skiing, and curling.’
- ‘Models knit to pass the time backstage at catwalk shows and funky youngsters go lawn bowling of a Sunday afternoon’
- ‘Activities like lawn bowling and golf were also becoming popular, and required a strong turf to play on.’
- ‘The Bowling Green is also starting a lawn bowling league, commencing in May.’
- ‘The site will house an ice rink, fitness and youth centres, a gym, outdoor tennis and lawn bowling and an aquatics facility.’
- ‘They say things like: ‘What, lawn bowling, a blonde like you?’’
- ‘There are many activities that the pub participates in, including a lawn bowling team.’
- ‘Not voting, but more fun than lawn bowling probably.’
- ‘Military families took part in 5 main sporting categories including 7-a-side football, lawn bowling, mountain bike races, and other ball games.’
- ‘Later on, a carefree lawn bowling picnic nearly turns into an ugly brawl.’
- ‘From a modern perspective it is hard to imagine how a sport like lawn bowling could threaten social order.’
- ‘Because of the heat, the lawn bowling was delayed until later, while the darts and pool competitions were played down to the final stages.’
- ‘The fields would be developed to accommodate tennis, roller hockey, lacrosse, lawn bowling, field hockey and other sports.’
- ‘More than 300 people involved in education participated in the sports, which consisted of football, running races, Thai lawn bowling and a tug of war.’
- ‘The Italian sport of bocce, lawn bowling with heavy metal balls, is a popular pastime.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.