Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Conforming to, permitted by, or recognized by law or rules.‘it is an offence to carry a weapon in public without lawful authority’
law-abiding, righteous, honourable, good, decent, proper, solid, virtuous, moral, ethical, orderly, well behaved, peacekeeping, peaceful, civilized, dutiful, duteous, obedient, compliant, complying, disciplinedlegitimate, legal, licit, just, permissible, permitted, allowable, allowed, rightful, proper, constitutional, legalized, sanctioned, authorized, warranted, justified, justifiable, approved, recognized, admissible, above board, within the law, going by the rulesView synonyms
- ‘But regime change could result from action that is otherwise lawful.’
- ‘Can our motives taint our otherwise lawful acts of ownership?’
- ‘They would constitute serious assaults if carried out without consent, or specific lawful authority.’
- ‘However, it would still be perfectly lawful for the British state to simply declare him immune from prosecution.’
- ‘But we'll do our best to make it as lawful as possible.’
- ‘The first question is whether the detention is lawful under domestic law.’
- ‘In fact, English law renders an arrest lawful if the police officer has reasonable grounds for suspicion.’
- ‘His reasons for not doing so do not provide him with a lawful excuse.’
- ‘I don't think it's a good idea to upgrade terrorists into lawful combatants.’
- ‘In such cases, it will be easier to establish that the detention was lawful.’
- ‘The demolition of the Goods Yard may be perfectly lawful.’
- ‘The law is absolutely clear: the Bill treats smacking as lawful and reasonable chastisement.’
- ‘But this simply raises the question: why was lawful conduct abandoned in the first place?’
- ‘Silence or mere lack of objection does not constitute a lawful waiver.’
- ‘Paramilitary operatives do not meet any of the prerequisites necessary to be considered lawful combatants.’
- ‘Reasonableness is essentially a basis for resolving competing claims where otherwise lawful activities conflict.’
- ‘"Customers have nothing to fear if they earned their money from lawful business activities.’
- ‘From the beginning, the United States Constitution recognized capital punishment as lawful.’
- ‘Or are people noticing that lawful dissidents are also being arrested?’
- ‘He also has two convictions for detaining a child without lawful authority, she said.’
- 1.1dated (of a child) born within a lawful marriage.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.