One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A situation characterized by respect for and obedience to the rules of a society.‘his forces were preparing to withdraw from the province after restoring law and order’
law and order, lawfulness, order, peacefulness, peaceableness, harmony, harmoniousness, accord, concord, amity, amicableness, goodwill, friendship, cordiality, non-aggression, non-violenceView synonyms
- ‘The state has assigned the task of maintenance of proper law and order in the country to the police.’
- ‘For those with no respect or regard for law and order, such rules and laws are irrelevant.’
- ‘It would have to give people security, humanitarian aid, peace, and some form of law and order.’
- ‘One wouldn't want to allow something as frightful as ordinary people having a say in law and order, would one?’
- ‘He said that if he decides to stand he will campaign on ‘a return to law and order and decency’.’
- ‘He intends to campaign on issues such as law and order and the number of economic migrants trying to get into Britain.’
- ‘One of the first precepts of any civilised society is respect for law and order.’
- ‘The estate is patrolled by ex-soldiers who are helping to restore law and order.’
- ‘To restore and preserve law and order, there will be 10,000 extra police on the streets.’
- ‘There was no law and order, even when the soldiers came and made a barricade with barbed wire outside the station.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.