One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to the making or enacting of laws; legislative.‘law-giving bodies’‘law-giving powers’
law-making, judicial, juridical, jurisdictive, parliamentary, congressional, senatorial, deliberative, governmental, policy-making, administrativeView synonyms
- ‘God the Father, often called Urizen - the Creator - in Blake's own mythology, represents the law-giving, restrictive and unforgiving enemy of humanity.’
- ‘God was portrayed as a law-giving and law-abiding being but natural causes were sought to explain the workings of the natural world.’
- ‘Our law-giving institutions will continue to operate more or less in the dark.’
- ‘He negotiates a long, perilous journey to a new land where he finds himself worshipped as a demigod, plied with regalia and invested with law-giving powers by a local tribe.’
- ‘This account is also interesting because it too contains the concept of a law-giving deity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.