One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant of a genus that includes the tree mallow.
Genus Lavatera, family Malvaceae
- ‘Suited to all zones, lavatera flowers from mid-July till hard frost in moist, fertile soil.’
- ‘Not his mother - she was lifting flags in the garden preparing the ground for lavatera, hibiscus and a camomile path.’
- ‘Orange lion's tail and yellow Jerusalem sage vie for attention with pink lavatera and blue Cleveland sage in flower-filled beds.’
- ‘These and plants such as lavatera, buddleia and cistus are generally not worth moving unless they have been in the ground for two or three years.’
- ‘To add color to a mostly herbal garden, rely on a few shrubs that bloom nearly year-round, such as lavatera and groundcover roses.’
- ‘Forsythia and winter jasmine are also fast growers and so, as they finish flowering can be cut back, although not as hard as the lavatera.’
Modern Latin, named after the brothers Lavater, 17th- and 18th-century Swiss naturalists.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.