One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant of a genus that includes the tree mallow.
Genus Lavatera, family Malvaceae
- ‘Orange lion's tail and yellow Jerusalem sage vie for attention with pink lavatera and blue Cleveland sage in flower-filled beds.’
- ‘Forsythia and winter jasmine are also fast growers and so, as they finish flowering can be cut back, although not as hard as the lavatera.’
- ‘Not his mother - she was lifting flags in the garden preparing the ground for lavatera, hibiscus and a camomile path.’
- ‘These and plants such as lavatera, buddleia and cistus are generally not worth moving unless they have been in the ground for two or three years.’
- ‘Suited to all zones, lavatera flowers from mid-July till hard frost in moist, fertile soil.’
- ‘To add color to a mostly herbal garden, rely on a few shrubs that bloom nearly year-round, such as lavatera and groundcover roses.’
Modern Latin, named after the brothers Lavater, 17th- and 18th-century Swiss naturalists.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.