Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plant of a genus that includes the tree mallow.
- ‘To add color to a mostly herbal garden, rely on a few shrubs that bloom nearly year-round, such as lavatera and groundcover roses.’
- ‘These and plants such as lavatera, buddleia and cistus are generally not worth moving unless they have been in the ground for two or three years.’
- ‘Suited to all zones, lavatera flowers from mid-July till hard frost in moist, fertile soil.’
- ‘Orange lion's tail and yellow Jerusalem sage vie for attention with pink lavatera and blue Cleveland sage in flower-filled beds.’
- ‘Forsythia and winter jasmine are also fast growers and so, as they finish flowering can be cut back, although not as hard as the lavatera.’
- ‘Not his mother - she was lifting flags in the garden preparing the ground for lavatera, hibiscus and a camomile path.’
Modern Latin, named after the brothers Lavater, 17th- and 18th-century Swiss naturalists.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.