One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A natural tunnel within a solidified lava flow, formerly occupied by flowing molten lava.
- ‘As the lava flows onwards, this skin is left behind as a lava tunnel.’
- ‘We spend a few minutes inside a lava tube, in the pitch dark, listening to a primal silence.’
- ‘In 1996, the Italian army proved this by detonating 15,000 pounds of mining explosives to successfully block a lava tube leading from Mount Etna and threatening villages below.’
- ‘It could be the entrance to an old lava tube similar to those found in Hawaii.’
- ‘Channeled through a lava tube, the sea can roar and blow its spray as high as 50 feet.’
- ‘Another way to protect a lunar base from radiation is to put it underground in a lava tube.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.