Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A mound of viscous lava which has been extruded from a volcanic vent.
- ‘Geological Survey crews also observed a shift in the crater floor and on part of the 1,000-foot lava dome that essentially serves as a plug for magma, he said.’
- ‘Thermal and textural anomalies seen on the surface of the lava domes change markedly during the restive state prior to larger eruptions.’
- ‘Its 2,000-foot height and nearly 2-cubic kilometer volume make it one of the largest lava domes in the world.’
- ‘Generally, newly erupted lava domes grow in an endogenous regime of growth that represents a thermo-mechanical continuum.’
- ‘The peninsula of Methana is made of lava domes and lava flows.’
- ‘A cluster of seven lava domes found in the eastern part of Alpha Regio.’
- ‘In the last several days, the roughly 1,000-foot-tall lava dome has risen by about 150 feet.’
- ‘Many lava domes grow by internal intrusion of lava that causes swelling and oversteepening of the dome.’
- ‘Geologists said the lava dome inside the volcano is now deforming, or growing, by tens, maybe hundreds, of feet.’
- ‘About nine years ago, I visited that particular volcano, actually flew on a helicopter right to that lava dome at the center of that crater.’
- ‘Slowly rising lava domes may grow for months or for several years in the aftermath of explosive eruptions.’
- ‘However, current field analyses of the flow structures suggest the outcrops are individual lava domes.’
- ‘Several earlier lava domes formed after May 18, 1980 had been removed by explosive eruptions.’
- ‘Rising magma continues to build a lava dome in the crater of Mount St. Helens.’
- ‘The eruption has been characterized by lava dome extrusion, dome-collapse pyroclastic flows and explosive activity.’
- ‘At Mount St. Helens, a lava dome continues to grow inside the volcano's horseshoe-shaped crater.’
- ‘Experts watching a recent spike in volcanic activity say a lava dome in the mountain's crater is growing.’
- ‘And it all depends on what's happening under the volcano in the magma body under the lava dome, whether this system will continue to repressurize or not.’
- ‘The Pitons are the remnants of two lava domes that formed about 200-300 thousand years ago.’
- ‘The lower hills at left and at right are lava domes belonging to the Amiata complex.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.