One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A garment which resembles a wraparound skirt, worn by both sexes in Samoa and some other Pacific islands.‘a lava-lava and sandals is the best thing to wear in July’
- ‘When I'm not in the production rooms, most of the time I'm wearing a beige shirt, a brown suit jacket with the TWR logo prominently on the front and a plain brown lavalava of similar material.’
- ‘The women, adorned in colourful skirts and paints, offered their fine, hand-woven lavalava skirts.’
- ‘I sat in the corner in my borrowed lavalava, folding my legs under me so that the soles of my bare feet were respectfully pointed away from our hosts.’
- ‘We had everything from bleached surfer dudes to Tongan gentlemen wearing the traditional lava lava.’
- ‘Lavalavas or nothing seems to be the only way to feel comfortable while this humidity continues.’
- ‘Even important village leaders who work in the city may choose to wear a formal lavalava, a sport shirt, and a wide leather belt around the waist.’
- ‘The women of these islands still wear the woven lava-lavas.’
- ‘While Samoans prefer colorful floral designs in both their lavalava and tops, darker colors are preferred on formal occasions.’
Late 19th century: Samoan.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.