One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Yes even an outside lav, as theatre is all about displacing reality and letting imagination do the rest.’
- ‘The boy standing in the airplane lav with his mother wasn't happy.’
- ‘I read about classic Tommy Boy recordings in a three year old magazine while I was on the lav this morning.’
- ‘Would have made sure I went to the lav before I left.’
- ‘Next morning he feels like hell, is sick in the lav and finds more bottles in the fridge.’
- ‘An occasional escorted walk up or down the aisle to or from the lav or alternating seats next to the window also eased the boredom.’
- ‘How long should you leave it before using the lav after somebody has come out of there?’
- ‘When it was my turn, I headed down to the lavs and to the lone cubicle, only for some shirt wearing bloke to slip in ahead of me.’
- ‘It seems the ideal apparatus for the city's beautiful people to make grand entrances down after popping to the lav.’
- ‘By the end of the journey, he can find himself caught seriously short, so the aromatic cubicles that pass for lavs at Bondi Junction station become sanctuaries of blessed relief.’
- ‘It's a book designed for the lav but destined to be discussed for years.’
- ‘‘We have revived an old pub tradition,’ said the landlord, whose cheeky poem placed above the lav explains the ritual.’
- ‘Apparently, before I conked out in her loo, I did some of the crossword in the magazine by her lav.’
- ‘While waiting for the lav, I struck up a conversation with Miss Navy and Mauve and Mr. Green and Khaki.’
- ‘That explains why everybody had to use the lav at the same time.’
- ‘It's not that I'm afraid to fly, but I hate the hassle of standing in this line and then standing in that line - heck, there's usually a line for the lav on the plane!’
- ‘The red-headed guy goes back to the club, meets a man in the lav, is drugged and wakes up in a deserted industrial area.’
- ‘Call centre staff, it seems, are watched very closely to make sure they are not spending valuable company time on the lav.’
Early 20th century: abbreviation.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.