One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for spotted hyena
- ‘His is the voice behind the indirect discourse that perceives them as laughing hyenas.’
- ‘The farce is in the hysterical-absurdist mode, leaping from excess to excess, part souped-up gazelle, part nastily laughing hyena.’
- ‘They also endured first-hand experiences with green mamba snakes, grunting warthogs, laughing hyenas, and black centipedes which would fall dramatically into the bath.’
- ‘‘A sense of humour is good for you,’ Hope wisecracked, ‘Ever heard of a laughing hyena with heart burn?’’
- ‘Lawyers have referred to black male defendants as ‘laughing hyenas out to kill someone,’ ‘vultures,’ ‘tigers,’ ‘mad dogs,’ and ‘animals in the jungle.’’
- ‘But I take humor seriously as well, as I feel it is one of those essential human values that distinguish us from the lesser creatures - apart from the laughing hyena, of course.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.