One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for spotted hyena
- ‘Lawyers have referred to black male defendants as ‘laughing hyenas out to kill someone,’ ‘vultures,’ ‘tigers,’ ‘mad dogs,’ and ‘animals in the jungle.’’
- ‘The farce is in the hysterical-absurdist mode, leaping from excess to excess, part souped-up gazelle, part nastily laughing hyena.’
- ‘His is the voice behind the indirect discourse that perceives them as laughing hyenas.’
- ‘But I take humor seriously as well, as I feel it is one of those essential human values that distinguish us from the lesser creatures - apart from the laughing hyena, of course.’
- ‘‘A sense of humour is good for you,’ Hope wisecracked, ‘Ever heard of a laughing hyena with heart burn?’’
- ‘They also endured first-hand experiences with green mamba snakes, grunting warthogs, laughing hyenas, and black centipedes which would fall dramatically into the bath.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.