One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Laugh uncontrollably or for a long time.‘the audience was laughing themselves silly’
- ‘I laughed myself silly over her comparison of children to terrorists, and her tales of her domineering, movie star mother.’
- ‘All three nearly passed out as they laughed themselves sick.’
- ‘When my vision finally cleared enough to get a good look at the culprit, I focused in on the store manager who was laughing herself silly.’
- ‘Jon and I have been watching this show every week with splendid abandon, laughing ourselves silly at a safe distance.’
- ‘By now he was laughing himself silly on the other end.’
- ‘He seemed to be laughing himself silly at some of the jokes at his expense, but it may be that he's a good enough actor to fake enjoyment.’
- ‘The author's name has caused untold hilarity among Britain's schoolboy humour forum, and I've laughed myself silly.’
- ‘I wouldn't say the crowd laughed themselves sick, but I was regretting not bringing the video camera for Kirsty's home videos.’
- ‘I can just imagine them laughing themselves sick as they made the burger.’
- ‘Needless to say, we spent the afternoon laughing ourselves silly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.