One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘16th and 17th century scholars (the Latinisers) changed the spelling of many words to make words, as they thought, reveal their classical origin, but they made many mistakes.’
- ‘As for the Latinisers, a curse on them and their fruits - the ‘b’ in doubt and debt, the ‘s’ in island.’
- ‘And the Apostles Methodius and Cyril, Greeks by origin, but in communication with Rome, are claimed, wrongly, by the Latinisers as their own.’
- ‘The same argument can be applied to those who oppose the Latin Mass, or to the Latinisers who oppose the full authentic Byzantine Liturgy with all its glorious ceremonial!’
- ‘Though Johnson is said to be the great Latinizer of English, English never did get Latinized.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.