One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plain cross in which the vertical part below the horizontal is longer than the other three parts.
- ‘The navy adopted the Latin cross as the cap insignia for Christian chaplains in 1863, the first faith-specific insignia approved for wear in the U.S. armed forces.’
- ‘This sign with its staff nailed to the top of the cross would have given it somewhat the characteristic form of the Latin cross.’
- ‘The site was then sealed and a large Latin cross was erected above it.’
- ‘Its clergy rejected Wren's daring central design and got a boring Latin cross instead.’
- ‘The Latin crosses in one of the crossbands are the only other indication that this sampler was worked at a Catholic school.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.