Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Dominance of one side of the brain in controlling particular activities or functions, or of one of a pair of organs such as the eyes or hands.
- ‘There is no consistent finding for hemispheric laterality of lesions.’
- ‘Issues of cross laterality or mixed dominance make the whole subject area a minefield, and I am therefore only going to consider writing handedness.’
- ‘Table 1 presents the data for the muscle stiffness index of the left and right sides, laterality, and imbalance.’
- ‘Functional asymmetry of the brain and behavioral laterality may be a pleiotropic effect of these genes.’
- ‘All patients having a surgical procedure shall have the surgical site, level, and laterality, if appropriate, confirmed by the entire surgical team before any surgical procedure is performed.’
- ‘The two treatment groups did not differ in age, gender, laterality of acute otitis media, or initial pain scores.’
- ‘He has also conducted several reviews and studies of cerebral laterality, primarily through investigations of handedness patterns.’
- ‘During the 1990s he continued his work on laterality and the study of hemispheric asymmetries.’
- ‘They question what is documented in the patient's medical record and whether laterality is documented?’
- ‘The second major category of error is that of defective identification of patient, tissue, or laterality.’
- ‘This result has generally been replicated but not always with regard to laterality.’
- ‘All team members participate in confirming the name of the patient, the procedure to be performed; the correct site, including laterality; and the implant to be used.’
- ‘In addition to handedness research, he has published on the biological demonstrations of the mathematical Fibonacci series in plants and the laterality of various brain functions.’
- ‘There did not seem to be a specific predilection for laterality, although the number of cases was too small to be significant.’
- ‘He has collaborated on studies of laterality by examining patterns of mouth movement asymmetries during different tasks.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.