One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The heat required to convert a solid into a liquid or vapour, or a liquid into a vapour, without change of temperature.‘the latent heat of fusion’
- ‘Also in year 10 we covered heat, including specific heat capacity and latent heat, and conservation of energy.’
- ‘Energy is required to provide the latent heat of evaporation for the phase change from liquid to gas (water vapour), which takes place in the cavity below the stomata.’
- ‘He gave explanations of the nature of free heat and latent heat.’
- ‘The theory of latent heat was used by Watt to successfully develop the separate condenser.’
- ‘Surface warming leads to cumulus convection and release of latent heat, producing warm temperatures throughout the troposphere.’
- ‘Conversely, when a gas condenses, it must release this latent heat and become a liquid before it can cool below its boiling temperature.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.