One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The basic monetary unit of Latvia, equal to 100 santims (replaced by the euro in 2014).
- ‘As we motor through the European Union in future, we will be able to change our euros into Latvian lats and Lithuanian litas.’
- ‘The government has agreed to increase teachers' salaries 20 lats from January 1, 2006.’
From the first syllable of Latvija ‘Latvia’.
(in bodybuilding) a latissimus muscle.‘the proper exercises for developing the lats’
- ‘As the name implies, the at bar is primarily used when training the lats and other back muscles in the form of pull-downs.’
- ‘Pectoral muscles and lats can push an enormous amount of weight through a great range of motion, which means they, too, are more directly fatigued.’
- ‘He rattles off a host of muscles they work, including lats, biceps, rear delts, rhomboids, triceps and brachialis.’
- ‘Remember that abdominals are muscles, just like triceps, biceps, pecs and lats.’
- ‘‘For hitting the outer lats and surrounding muscles, this movement is tough to beat,’ he said.’
- ‘This exercise targets your lats, the largest muscles in your upper body.’
- ‘Then you'll drop the weight to do the one-arm lat extension, changing the angle at which you're hitting the lats and working more muscle fibers.’
- ‘Continue on to the hamstrings, glutes, abs, forearms, biceps, triceps, shoulders, pecs, lats, traps, neck, jaw muscles and forehead muscles.’
- ‘Contract your lats and midback muscles to bring your elbows back, pulling the handles toward you.’
- ‘Poling is especially good for your triceps, lats and rhomboids.’
- ‘Beginners should finish this back workout with one-arm dumbbell rows to develop lats and rhomboids and to further enhance the V taper.’
- ‘Lots of bodybuilders have wide lats, but their backs are as flat as ironing boards.’
- ‘This is because exercises for your big muscles - your chest, lats and glutes - typically require the assistance of nearby smaller muscles.’
- ‘Every cartoon/player came with exploding biceps, triceps, pecs, lats.’
- ‘Are bigger biceps, triceps, pecs and lats leaving elbows, shoulders, necks and backs more vulnerable?’
- ‘Your lats are large fan-shaped muscles that go from your armpits to your hips and from your torso's outer border to your spine.’
- ‘In bodybuilding competition, lower lats are valued, but whether or not you build up this area is a personal aesthetic choice.’
- ‘Behind-the-neck presses direct some of the stress into your lats, rhomboids, teres, spinatus, traps and the rest of your upper back.’
- ‘To boost endurance through weight training, include high-rep sessions in your program targeting large muscle groups: legs, lats and pecs, as well as abs.’
- ‘As for your paddling muscles, there are many ways to target the rhomboid/scapular muscles, the lats, and the shoulders.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.