Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The basic monetary unit of Latvia, equal to 100 santims.
- ‘As we motor through the European Union in future, we will be able to change our euros into Latvian lats and Lithuanian litas.’
- ‘The government has agreed to increase teachers' salaries 20 lats from January 1, 2006.’
From the first syllable of Latvija Latvia.
(in bodybuilding) a latissimus muscle.‘the proper exercises for developing the lats’
- ‘As for your paddling muscles, there are many ways to target the rhomboid/scapular muscles, the lats, and the shoulders.’
- ‘‘For hitting the outer lats and surrounding muscles, this movement is tough to beat,’ he said.’
- ‘Are bigger biceps, triceps, pecs and lats leaving elbows, shoulders, necks and backs more vulnerable?’
- ‘In bodybuilding competition, lower lats are valued, but whether or not you build up this area is a personal aesthetic choice.’
- ‘As the name implies, the at bar is primarily used when training the lats and other back muscles in the form of pull-downs.’
- ‘Beginners should finish this back workout with one-arm dumbbell rows to develop lats and rhomboids and to further enhance the V taper.’
- ‘Then you'll drop the weight to do the one-arm lat extension, changing the angle at which you're hitting the lats and working more muscle fibers.’
- ‘Remember that abdominals are muscles, just like triceps, biceps, pecs and lats.’
- ‘He rattles off a host of muscles they work, including lats, biceps, rear delts, rhomboids, triceps and brachialis.’
- ‘Lots of bodybuilders have wide lats, but their backs are as flat as ironing boards.’
- ‘Contract your lats and midback muscles to bring your elbows back, pulling the handles toward you.’
- ‘Pectoral muscles and lats can push an enormous amount of weight through a great range of motion, which means they, too, are more directly fatigued.’
- ‘Poling is especially good for your triceps, lats and rhomboids.’
- ‘Every cartoon/player came with exploding biceps, triceps, pecs, lats.’
- ‘This is because exercises for your big muscles - your chest, lats and glutes - typically require the assistance of nearby smaller muscles.’
- ‘This exercise targets your lats, the largest muscles in your upper body.’
- ‘Continue on to the hamstrings, glutes, abs, forearms, biceps, triceps, shoulders, pecs, lats, traps, neck, jaw muscles and forehead muscles.’
- ‘Behind-the-neck presses direct some of the stress into your lats, rhomboids, teres, spinatus, traps and the rest of your upper back.’
- ‘Your lats are large fan-shaped muscles that go from your armpits to your hips and from your torso's outer border to your spine.’
- ‘To boost endurance through weight training, include high-rep sessions in your program targeting large muscle groups: legs, lats and pecs, as well as abs.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.