One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The basic monetary unit of Latvia, equal to 100 santims (replaced by the euro in 2014).
- ‘The government has agreed to increase teachers' salaries 20 lats from January 1, 2006.’
- ‘As we motor through the European Union in future, we will be able to change our euros into Latvian lats and Lithuanian litas.’
From the first syllable of Latvija ‘Latvia’.
(in bodybuilding) a latissimus muscle.‘the proper exercises for developing the lats’
- ‘To boost endurance through weight training, include high-rep sessions in your program targeting large muscle groups: legs, lats and pecs, as well as abs.’
- ‘This is because exercises for your big muscles - your chest, lats and glutes - typically require the assistance of nearby smaller muscles.’
- ‘This exercise targets your lats, the largest muscles in your upper body.’
- ‘Then you'll drop the weight to do the one-arm lat extension, changing the angle at which you're hitting the lats and working more muscle fibers.’
- ‘Poling is especially good for your triceps, lats and rhomboids.’
- ‘Beginners should finish this back workout with one-arm dumbbell rows to develop lats and rhomboids and to further enhance the V taper.’
- ‘Continue on to the hamstrings, glutes, abs, forearms, biceps, triceps, shoulders, pecs, lats, traps, neck, jaw muscles and forehead muscles.’
- ‘He rattles off a host of muscles they work, including lats, biceps, rear delts, rhomboids, triceps and brachialis.’
- ‘Pectoral muscles and lats can push an enormous amount of weight through a great range of motion, which means they, too, are more directly fatigued.’
- ‘Contract your lats and midback muscles to bring your elbows back, pulling the handles toward you.’
- ‘In bodybuilding competition, lower lats are valued, but whether or not you build up this area is a personal aesthetic choice.’
- ‘Every cartoon/player came with exploding biceps, triceps, pecs, lats.’
- ‘Lots of bodybuilders have wide lats, but their backs are as flat as ironing boards.’
- ‘As for your paddling muscles, there are many ways to target the rhomboid/scapular muscles, the lats, and the shoulders.’
- ‘‘For hitting the outer lats and surrounding muscles, this movement is tough to beat,’ he said.’
- ‘Your lats are large fan-shaped muscles that go from your armpits to your hips and from your torso's outer border to your spine.’
- ‘As the name implies, the at bar is primarily used when training the lats and other back muscles in the form of pull-downs.’
- ‘Remember that abdominals are muscles, just like triceps, biceps, pecs and lats.’
- ‘Are bigger biceps, triceps, pecs and lats leaving elbows, shoulders, necks and backs more vulnerable?’
- ‘Behind-the-neck presses direct some of the stress into your lats, rhomboids, teres, spinatus, traps and the rest of your upper back.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.