One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sweet or savoury Indian drink made from a yogurt or buttermilk base with water.
- ‘North Indians enjoy lassi laced with sugar or salt to beat the heat.’
- ‘They make a swell supper, especially with a glass of mango lassi, the habit-forming yogurt drink, to go along.’
- ‘The yoghurt based lassi, whether sweet or salty, is top of its class.’
- ‘Go ahead, give them up and instead, be natural and have flavoured milk, tender coconuts, butter-milk, lassi or plain water, the message exhorts.’
- ‘Don't overlook lassi, the delicious yoghurt based drink which can be sweet or sour according to your taste.’
- ‘Tall glasses of sugary sweet lassis were poured.’
- ‘There were a couple of mango lassi, 140 cubes of Turkish Delight, 12 pots of jasmine tea, 14 travelling cappuccino and 48 bowls of soup.’
- ‘Sweetened tea, buttermilk, or lassi, a drink made from yogurt, rounds out the meal.’
- ‘I enjoyed my lassi, particularly for the undercurrent of coconut I detected.’
- ‘There is also a good drinks chapter including ginger beer and lassi.’
- ‘And there's a lot of good drinks as well, fruit juices and lassi, the yogurt drinks mixed with fruit, and sometimes with rose water.’
- ‘The mango lassi (Indian version of a milkshake) at this place is also to die for.’
- ‘Tall glasses of lassi, sweet or salty, come as a cooling drink with the food.’
- ‘On the menu card, among the list of juices and soft drinks, lassi holds a special position.’
- ‘Famous traditional cold drinks like thandai, lassi, jal jeera, mango shake, milk shake and chuski were on display and sale here in a variety of tastes and colours.’
- ‘Just so you know, I kept my diet strictly in mind as I gobbled down 4 of these, finished with a tall glass of lassi, and went home to sleep like a baby.’
- ‘The Venue staff have whipped up more than 35 different kinds of lassi, some sweet and some with salt.’
- ‘I finished off with a glass of lassi, a sweet yoghurty drink which seemed like a dessert in itself.’
- ‘Tender coconut, lemon juice, sherbet, lassi, sambharam (butter milk), fruit juices and milk shakes - the list seems to be endless.’
- ‘The range of dairy products from the company ranges from butter and ghee to cold coffee and sweet lassi.’
From Hindi lassī.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.