Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A disc resembling a larger CD but able to store video, now generally replaced by the DVD.
- ‘This treatment seems somewhere between the two previously available formats - VHS and the aforementioned laserdisc - in quality.’
- ‘This is the sole addition to the DVD over the laserdisc.’
- ‘The only good thing about television that comes to mind right now is that through VHS, laserdisc and DVD a great amount of attention has been brought to film preservation and restoration.’
- ‘The laserdisc and VHS versions were severely washed-out; but here every color is perfectly tweaked, except for some of the blues, which seem to pop a little unnaturally.’
- ‘How does the medium stack up against its digital forerunner, laserdiscs?’
- ‘‘In theory, DVDs should be higher resolution and lower noise than even laserdiscs,’ notes Levinson.’
- ‘Initially laserdiscs and DVDs were high-priced, luxury product aimed primarily at cinema enthusiasts, who would likely want to study the film more thoroughly than the casual viewer.’
- ‘This is the version we get on this DVD, which is essentially a port of the 1998 laserdisc, though with a spruced up digital transfer.’
- ‘But probably the best overall extra is the commentary track, recorded for the Elite laserdisc back in 1995.’
- ‘As you may know, the original DVD was a flipper - just like a laserdisc, you had to get up and flip the DVD about halfway through the movie.’
- ‘This is another example where the laserdisc or even VHS comes with supplements left off the DVD, and is inexcusable.’
- ‘It's still a very entertaining commentary, with plenty of info and laughs, but it too is a holdover from previous releases, originally recorded for the laserdisc.’
- ‘Back then I had the movie as a VHS bootleg, dubbed from the widescreen laserdisc.’
- ‘You see, the laserdisc has been around for more than 20 years and qualifies as the slowest-growing format of all time with about 2 million users.’
- ‘Even laserdisc looked horrible compared to this new DVD picture.’
- ‘Volume level concerns with the previous laserdisc are not in evidence on the DVD.’
- ‘While the transfer on the DVD showed improvement over the awful picture on the laserdisc, it was not first rate even then.’
- ‘My girlfriend has VHS copies from the Japanese laserdiscs, and the subtitles only added to the strangeness.’
- ‘When compared to the previous home video incarnations on both VHS and laserdisc, the new DVD looks wonderful.’
- ‘Certainly, the DVD is noticeably superior to previous video incarnations on VHS and laserdisc.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.