One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a substance, especially a gas or crystal) undergo the physical processes employed in a laser; function as or in a laser.‘the discharge causes the vapor to lase with a pulse of green light’
- ‘Many organic molecules and polymers have been observed to lase in the visible spectrum from the red to the blue, but success has been elusive at the deep blue wavelengths.’
- ‘Nanopowders can lase or can upconvert light, finding potential applications such as security and anticounterfeiting.’
- ‘The primary laser beam is generated by a megawatt chemical oxygen iodine laser located at the rear of the fuselage, which lases at 1.315 micron wavelength.’
- ‘The source of heat in the laser material is the absorption of intense diode-laser pump light, which is used to excite a particular transition and produce the population inversion necessary for lasing.’
- ‘They are polar compounds and exhibit a high fluorescence quantum yield and lase efficiently both in liquid and in solid solutions, with some of them outperforming the laser performance of the reference dye Rhodamine 6G.’
- ‘Unlike QW lasers, which have a continual energy spectrum, QD structures have an energy gap between the lowest state that lases and the next state.’
- ‘‘There have been many attempts, but no one had been able to get silicon to lase before now,’ notes Bahram Jalali, the physicist who led the U.C.L.A. team.’
- ‘After lasing, there was no statistically significant reduction in overall yield stress, ultimate stress, or elastic modulus when comparing the lased and the nonlased tissue.’
- ‘Furthermore, QD devices have lased at 1.3 m, a necessary attribute for access network communication systems that use GaAs substrates.’
- ‘These points of light do not exhibit coherent properties commonly associated with laser light, although peers agree that the ‘random laser’ does indeed lase.’
1960s: back-formation from laser, interpreted as an agent noun.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.