Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The hollow muscular organ forming an air passage to the lungs and holding the vocal cords in humans and other mammals; the voice box.
- ‘The larynx is the ‘voicebox’, the organ in the neck that plays a crucial role in speech and breathing.’
- ‘Smoking is a risk factor for cancer of the lung, mouth, larynx, bladder, kidney and several other organs.’
- ‘Elastic cartilage forms your outer ear and part of your larynx (voicebox).’
- ‘Cancer of various organs, not only the lung, but also the larynx, bladder and oesophagus.’
- ‘We did the lungs, the heart, the thymus gland, the larynx, and the mouth today.’
Late 16th century: modern Latin, from Greek larunx.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.