One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The hollow muscular organ forming an air passage to the lungs and holding the vocal cords in humans and other mammals; the voice box.
- ‘Cancer of various organs, not only the lung, but also the larynx, bladder and oesophagus.’
- ‘We did the lungs, the heart, the thymus gland, the larynx, and the mouth today.’
- ‘The larynx is the ‘voicebox’, the organ in the neck that plays a crucial role in speech and breathing.’
- ‘Smoking is a risk factor for cancer of the lung, mouth, larynx, bladder, kidney and several other organs.’
- ‘Elastic cartilage forms your outer ear and part of your larynx (voicebox).’
Late 16th century: modern Latin, from Greek larunx.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.